Understanding AS/CA S042.4 Compliance for Host Device Manufacturers with Integrated Cellular Modules
Host device manufacturers often believe that cellular module compliance reports alone are enough to establish conformity with the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) Telecommunications (Mobile Equipment Air Interface) Technical Standard 2022 and AS/CA S042. However, the standard views the entire device as customer equipment, not just the cellular module.
The ACMA acknowledges that manufacturers using pre-certified modules with evidence of Australian conformity need not retest for Radio Frequency (RF) compatibility or network integrity.
Yet, the integrated host device must still undergo radiated spurious emissions testing to ensure the module’s integration and antenna configuration don’t cause excessive emissions and interference with other surrounding equipment.
Compliance with AS/CA S042 Part 1, 4 and 5 for host devices includes:
- Emergency service access and Advanced Mobile Location (AML) testing on a live Australian network/s (if applicable)
- Audio acoustic safety testing (if applicable)
- Manufacturer’s Declaration of Conformity for mobile identity
- Warning notice requirements
- Cellular module or host test reports for FCC Part 22 Rules, ETSI EN 301 908-2 & ETSI EN 301 908-13
- Host device radiated spurious emissions test report for ETSI EN 301 908-1
- Manufacturer’s Declarations of Conformity, FCC/TCB Grant, EU RED TEC, ETSI TS standards
A National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) endorsed test report or a laboratory having an ILAC/MRA mutual recognition of test reports with NATA is typically sufficient for AS/CA S042.1 compliance of high-risk items.
If an endorsed test report is unavailable when needed, a Certification Body Statement (CBS) from a JAS-ANZ Telecommunications Scheme accredited Certification Body can be used instead.
Currently, the host device manufacturer can provide declarations of conformity to show compliance with the various 5G NR technologies, however this is set to change with the up-coming new revision of AS/CA S042.5.
Let’s bring your products to the forefront of success together!
For Compliance Excellence Contact Us Today:
For a seamless journey to market success and compliance, reach out to one of our expert team members on 03 9645 5933 to learn more about our comprehensive range of services and how we can help you achieve compliance excellence.